Glimpses of Canberra

Brickyards - Westridge

 

Creative Commons License
Glimpses of Early Canberra-Brickyards-Westridge by Ann Gugler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at http://canberraglimpses.webs.com

 

 

Bernie Rees Mud Map 

 

BRICKYARDS – WESTRIDGE & YARRALUMLA

The site of the Canberra suburb of Yarralumla sits on two former colonial properties – Yarralumla and Klensendorffe’s - both of which at the time of the founding of the Federal Capital Territory belonged to descendents of Robert Campbell of Duntroon.   Section of the boundary between the properties was near the brow of Stirling Ridge on the western side.  One can still see evidence of it by noting the line of old bush land which is on Klensendorlffe grant On the other side is cleared land. Even in the 1950s a fence still stood in this area. Fred Campbell’s cleared paddock was our Westlake horse paddock and in May 1927 this land was the site where the tent camp for the men of HMAS Sydney taking part in the opening of Parliament ceremonies was erected.[i]

 

Early Canberra maps indicate that a residential area was proposed in the vicinity of the present Yarralumla shops.  It was named Westlake. The finding of good quality shale nearby in Fred Campbell’s  ram paddock destined this area of Westlake later renamed West Ridge [1917] to become the Brickyards where bricks and tiles for the building needs of the future city were produced.

 

Griffin planned the site for a prestigious suburb with views to the proposed lake.  He was annoyed that it was chosen for industrial needs of the future city. With this choice the settlement near Yarralumla House, the Governor General’s residence became a temporary working class suburb where the men producing the bricks lived.

 

However, this selection of site for the brickyards [1913] and the permanent nursery [1914] made this area one of the first four major settlements in the FCT. The others were: Acton – administrative centre; Power House – industrial area and Cotter River – water supply.  The Royal Military College Duntroon [1911] formed another settlement, but its purpose was separate from the construction of the city.

 

Why WEST RIDGE?  A reason given was that a post office was to be established at the Brickyards, Yarralumla and to avoid confusion with Yarralumla House then being used to accommodate VIP visitors such as politicians the name had to be clearly different.   

 

The name, I believe, was selected because the settlement was west of the [Stirling] ridge.[ii]  Probably around this time the land known as Westlake was reduced to an area that extended from the ridge eastwards to the western side of Capitol Hill. To confuse the researcher even further, Westlake was included as part of Acton up until around 1963 when it became part of Yarralumla.

 

Today the area of Westlake that has survived development is Stirling Park, Yarralumla and on its hills are the remains of two single men’s camps,[iii] Contractor Howie’s settlement and 51 of the 62 Rolland designed portable timber cottages in The Gap.  Westlake was the area where men building the Hotel Canberra, Provisional Parliament House and main intercepting sewer were accommodated.

 

In 1927 when many of the names of the future suburbs of the capital were changed Westridge was renamed Yarralumla, but to the locals it remained, Westridge and its new name was not in common usage until after the suburb began its spread in the 1950s. 

 

Westridge was the only Canberra settlement that had erected within it all the major forms of temporary and early permanent accommodation with the exception of the Rolland designed temporary portable timber cottages erected at Westlake, Acton and Causeway-[iv]:-

·         19th century Yarralumla Property: Homestead [Governor General’s Residence]; two storey dairy cottage, a number of workmen’s cottages and other farm buildings.

·         1913-1921 tent camps for single men and humpies married quarters [By 1916 because of the war work in the Capital came to an almost standstill. The tents went & humpies remained until 1921]

·         1921-22 – 10 small brick cottages section 64 [Jeremiah Dillon’s cottage has survived along one on either side.]

·         1921-22 ex-Molonglo Internment Camp tenements moved from Molonglo [Fyshwick] to area of Banks St – separated into married & single quarters

·         1922 – tents No 2 Sewer Camp

·         1926 – small permanent weatherboard cottages erected for brickyard employees [Others were erected in the area of Corroboree Park Ainslie]

·         1927 – single men & married quarters camp near the brickyards – the married quarters remained and were updated in the post WW2 period for single men [timber barracks]

·         Westridge House [Tudor Style] erected for Acting Principal of Forestry School.[v]

·         1928 – 27 lined timber cubicles erected for forestry school students in area of Solander Place.[vi]

·         1928 – three brick shells of cottages [Nos 2,4,6] erected Solander Place for use as Mess, Ablution and Recreation rooms for forestry school students. [Later a timber building known as The Waldorlfe provided additional accommodation][vii]

 

The first mud map is a composite one based on information from local residents. This map details the early settlement between the years of 1913-1930s. 

 

Jean Oldfield – nee Boyd showed me the site of her old home.  It was one of ex-Molonglo Internment Camp tenements moved to Yarralumla in 1921-22. Jean showed me the concrete man-hole cover in her backyard where she stood to throw out the tea-leaves. This cover is in the front lawn of the Forestry School in Banks Street. After her marriage to Claude Oldfield the couple lived with Claude’s father, Syd, in houses built for the manager of the Brickworks. [viii] 

 

Moya Campbell, Jean’s daughter, lives in Rodway Street where during work on the front garden part of the old rail line was found. This rail line was used to move bricks from the brickyards to worksites – Hotel Canberra, Civic Centre, Provisional Parliament House etc.  A story told to me was that the cutting on the northern side of State Circle was cut for the train line and Terry Horan, last works manager of the Brickyards, showed me the cutting for the line near the yards. When line to Civic was pulled up someone forgot the locomotive  at Civic. [ix]  I never heard what happened to rectify this error.

 

Terry also told me about the finding of a boomerang near the Molonglo River at Westridge and the Aboriginal Camp near Coppins Crossing.  His father, who was friendly with the local Aboriginal people, took Terry into the caves under Civic where he was shown Aboriginal paintings.  Other stories about the caves were given to me by people such as Denis Morris who played in the caves as a child. He mentioned the underground stream.   Terry’s sister, Mrs Dora Riddell was Mess Caterer at the Forestry School Student’s Mess. 

 

From Cecily Hinchliffe, daughter of Mrs Marion Stanley I learnt the sites of the Mess Camps which her mother ran. The Westridge one was No 2 Sewer Camp near the corner of Brown and Banks Streets. Prior to that Mrs Stanley ran the Engineers Mess (opposite the Power House), and the Mess at Cotter Camp [construction of the bridge across the Murrumbidgee]. In early 1928 she was at Mt Ainslie Camp and by the time the law against the sale of alcohol in the territory was removed in late 1928 she was at Capitol Hill. 

 

The second map dated 1940 is by Bernie Rees.  Marked on his map is a circle of trees.  This was the site of Canberra’s nightsoil dump – the soil was clay which presented a few problems. Today the site is in the area of the overpass over Adelaide Avenue from Kent St Deakin to Novar St Yarralumla.[x]   Reg Newcombe who also drew a mud map – as did Moya Campbell [published in True Tales] – told me that the Westridge Septic tank[xi] used before the completion of the sewer was opposite the cottages in Mueller Street. During the second WW 2 years the tank was converted into an air-raid shelter

 

There are many others who shared their Westridge stories with me.  They include: Quigg, Sharp, Sheedy, Corkhill , Brill, Newcombe, Devlin, McGovern, Woods, Atkinson, Lee, Cromer, Boden, Dixon, Carne, Smijewski, Ziganiuk, Heidemanns, and Jenkins.  Some of the stories are in True Tales From Canberra’s Vanished Suburbs of Westlake, Westridge and Acton and online draft chapters for revised edition of The Builders of Canberra 1909-1929.  http://canberracamps.webs.com/brickyardswestridge.htm . 

 

Renewal of the suburb continues. Many of the old cottages are being replaced by more prestigious ones and there are plans for a major extension to the suburb in the vicinity of the brickyards.  Westridge had a strong community spirit and very early formed a Progress Association, a tradition, which I believe, continues to the present day. 

 



[i] The airforce camp for the May ceremonies was near the present airport and the army camp near York Park Barton.

[ii] Stirling Ridge was divided into two sections – site for a permanent Governor General’s residence and Stirling Park.

[iii] The third Westlake Single Men’s Camp was No 1 Labourers Camp, Capitol Hill, Westlake – site of Hillside Hostel

[iv] Robyn Donnelly’s father and grandfather (Taylor) came to Canberra in 1913 to work on the construction of the brickyards. Their camp was near the Railway Station – Queanbeyan? Or Canberra Station she did not know – the Canberra Station was not built until the 1920s.

[v] Charles Lane-Poole was the acting Principal – his wife, Ruth Lane-Poole was responsible for the furnishings of Government House and Prime Minister’s Lodge. She also established a florist business at Westridge.

[vi] Dr Neil Cromer told me about the cubicles which were the same as supplied to construction workers – two men to a cubicle. The Forestry School student’s cubicles were lined, connected to electricity and one man per cubicle. 

[vii] Information from Dr Neil Cromer & Waldorlfe from Dr Robert Boden.

[viii] CTs 21 Aug 1936. Small article on bricks known as the Canberra Cream used in the construction of Hotels Civic and Kingston.  Syd Oldfield is the man who developed this brick. The quarry at Attunga Point was used in the production of this brick.

[ix] This rail line is not to be confused with the rail line for passenger trains that went across from the south side at Causeway and thence to Civic Centre. The 1922 flood took out the pylons of the bridge and it was never rebuilt.

[x] The original name of Novar St was Mountain Way.

[xi] Westridge settlement like Westlake and early permanent buildings & suburbs had a septic tank system.  Others used the pan system.

The Demise of 33 Hutchins St

Click to add text, images, and other conte

Early Residents & Where They Lived

APPENDIX – BRICKYARDS -  WESTRIDGE RESIDENTS

The Census 31 December, 1913 that lists the name of head of household and numbers of male and females in each dwelling notes the following living in the Yarralumla Area.

HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD      M          F          Total

Adams, JW                     2           2           4

Armfield, M                    1           0           1

Corkhill, R                      9           4           13

Donnelly, M                    0           2           2

Fox, David                      1           0           1

Fox, Owen                      1           0           1

Goodsell, WH                  1           2           3

Harriott, Wm                  1           4           5

Hobday, John                 1           0           1

Horan, M                        7           3           10

Hughes, John                 3           1           4

Logan, J                         2           0           2

Magill, R                         1           0           1

Spencer, R                     1           0           1

Swyer, FJ                       1           4           5

Vest, Richard                  3           2           5

Vest, WH                        1           1           2

Wilson, Jas                     1           0           1

                   Total          37         25         62

 

In 1916 and 1917 the people of the FCT received their first vote -  for or against conscription. The 1916 roll notes the following  people living in the district:  They had to be 21 or over and of British or Australian citizenship.

 

1916 ELECTORAL ROLL

 

BATCHELOR, Maggie, Maggie, William & William Arthur home duties, home duties, labourer & nurseryman

BEVERIDGE, Emily & Isaac                          home duties & labourer

BOAG, Eleanor, Edith, Robert & Thomas     home duties, home duties, labourer & labourer

BOCK, Louisa, Henry & Percy                    home duties, labourer & labourer

BOURKE, Dominick                                   nurseryman

BOWER, Rebecca & Alfred                                     home duties & labourer

CORKHILL, Catherine & Robert                  home duties & dairy farmer

COTTERILL, Charlotte & John                    home duties & labourer

CREGAN, Arthur                                       labourer

CULLEY, Kathleen & Thomas                     home duties & clerk

CURTIN, Prudence & Mitchell                    home duties & labourer

DAVIS, Thomas                                        fitter

EGGLESTON, Catherine & Everett               home duties & bricklayer

ENEVER, Jean & Thomas                           home duties & labourer

FAULKNER, Mary & John                           home duties & labourer

GODWARD, Beatrice & William                   home duties & clerk

HADAWAY, Catherine & John                    home duties & labourer

HANDCOCK, Meary                                   home duties

HARRIOTT, Emily & William                       home duties & labourer

HOBDAY, Elsie & John                              home duties and nurseryman

HORAN, Daisy & Michael                           home duties & labourer

HORAN, Marguerite & Michael                   home duties & boundary rider (lived near the woolshed & other sites in the area)

INGRAM, Emily & Arthur                           home duties & labourer

JACOBS, Elizabeth, Harold & William           home duties, labourer & labourer

KILBY, William                                         nurseryman

LAWSON, Agnes & Tompson                      home duties & nurseryman

LAWTON, Bridget & Arthur                        home duties & labourer

LEA, Agnes & Joseph                               home duties and engine driver

McDERMOTT, Agnes & William                   home duties & labourer

MEWBURN, George                                  caretaker

MOLONEY, Orlando                                  labourer

MOORE, Reuben                                      labourer

MURPHY, Thomas                                    labourer

NIGHTINGALE, Jenny & Peter                    home duties & carpenter

PARTINGTON, Thomas                              carpenter

PAUL, Margaret & Robert                          home duties & labourer

PEARCE, Elizabeth                                    home duties

POLA, Lewis                                            labourer

POWELL, Edward                                                 caretaker

PROSSER, Ettie, Myrtle, Albert & John         home duties, home duties, labourer & labourer

PYLE, Emily, Florence & Francis                 home duties, home duties & labourer

QUIGG, Emily & Edward                            home duties & labourer

SHARP, Jean & Joseph                             home duties & labourer

SHARPE, Edith & Thomas                          home duties and nurseryman

SKERRY, Ellen, Margaret, Edward Snr & James home duties, home duties, labourer & labourer

SOUTHWELL, Isabella                                home duties (housekeeper Yarralumla House)

STEPHENSON, Annie & Percy                     home duties & labourer

STUTCHBURY, Beatrice & Jess                   home duties & labourer

THOMAS, John                                        labourer

TOWNSHEND, Alice & Harry                       home duties & labourer

VEST, Christian & Richard                         home duties & labourer

WALLACE, William                                    engine driver

WARE, Lily & Michael                                home duties & labourer

WITHERS, Florence & Peter                       home duties & labourer

 

1917 ELECTORAL ROLL

BATCHELOR, Maggie & William                   home duties & labourer

BOAG, Edith, Eleanor, Robert & Thomas     home duties, home duties, labourer & labourer

BOURKE, Dominick                                   nurseryman

BOWER, Rebecca & Alfred                          home duties & labourer

EGGLESTON, Catherine & Everett               home duties & bricklayer

FAULKNER, Mary & John                           home duties & labourer

HARRIOTT, Emily & William                       home duties & labourer

HEPBURN, William                                    labourer

HOBDAY, Elsie & John                              home duties & nurseryman

HORAN, Daisy                                          home duties

HORAN, Agnes, Marguerite& Michael          home duties, home duties & boundary rider (lived in farm cottage)

JACOBS, Elizabeth & Harold                      home duties & labourer

KILBY, Sidney                                          nurseryman

LAWSON, Agnes & Tompson                      home duties & nurseryman

LEA, Agnes & Joseph                               home duties & engine driver

LEECH, Edward                                        labourer

McDERMOTT, Alice & William                     home duties & labourer

MOORE, Catherine                                   home duties

MURPHY, Thomas                                    labourer

NIGHTINGALE, Jennie & Peter                   home duties & painter

POWELL, Edward                                                 caretaker

QUIGG, Emily & Edward                            home duties & labourer

SHARP, Jean & Joseph                             home duties & labourer

SHARPE, Edith & Thomas                          home duties & nurseryman

SKERRY, Ellen, Margaret, Edward Jnr, Edward Snr & James home duties, home duties, labourer, labourer & labourer

SOUTHWELL, Isabella                                home duties (housekeeper Yarralumla House)

STUTCHBURY, Beatrice & Jess                   home duties & labourer

TOWNSHEND, Alice & Harry                       home duties & labourer

VEST, Christian, Arthur & Richard               home duties, engine driver & caretaker.

MEN WHO LIVED AT THE BRICKWORKS BETWEEN 14 FEBRUARY 1917 - 1921-22

The following list refers to those living in the camp sites each of which was 666square yards with a rental of 2/- per month.  The cottages were humpies.

 

1.     R Boag, foreman of brickworks – unemployed at 21.4.1920 and re-employed by 6.3.1922. Works & Railways cottage previously owned by E Moore. Boag left temporary accommodation at Brickworks 1.3.1922.

2.     T Boag, Labourer employed at brickworks. Unemployed by 21.4.1920(?). Left temporary accommodation at brickworks 1.3.1922. During period of unemployment he was absent but a family lived in his cottage (Humpie).

3.     G Murrin. Name not mentioned in available lists following 14.2.1917

4.     P Nightingale. Still working in March 1918

5.     P Ware. Labourer employed by W&R – unemployed 21.4.1920 –re-employed 6.3.1922.  Left temporary accommodation at the brickworks 1.3.1922.

6.     JC Cotterill, labourer W&R. Was casually employed by the Commonwealth 21.4.1920. Cottage previously owned by P Denley. Left temporary accommodation the brickworks 1.3.1922.

7.     W McDermott live in Yarralumla woolshed. Left by 17.1.1918.

8.     J Hadaway. 30.11.1917 the cottage was empty. The cottage had been built by S Keir.

9.     L Pola. Labourer employed by W&R. He was casually employed by the Commonwealth at 21.4.1920 and reemployed. Left temporary accommodation at brickworks 1.3.1922

10.   Vacant – no rental

11.   Vacant – no rental

12.   C Leach, March 1918 the cottage was empty. It belonged to Holyoake of Queanbeyan

13.   E Skerry. Cottage built by S Kerry and was removed 30.11.1917.

14.   Vacant – no rental

15.   J Skerry – still in occupancy March 1918.

16.   Vacant – no rental

17.   J Lea labourer with W&R 23.10.1917. By 16.3.1922 he was clerk and left temporary accommodation at brickworks 1.3.1922.

18.   EP Eggleston. Bricklayer W&R 23.10.1917.  By 16.3.1922 he was a clerk and left temporary accommodation at the brickworks 1.3.1922

19.   M Handcock. Not mentioned following 14.2.1917.

20.   Vacant - no rental

21.   S Oldfield, labourer W&R . By 21.4.1921 he had lost his job but later re-employed. His house was bought from J Stutchbury and it was iron skillion.

22.   S Pyle. Name not mentioned following 14.2.1917.  House pulled down by 1.10.1917

23.   H Bock. Still working March 1918.

24.   M Curtin. Not mentioned in lists following 14.2.1917.

25.   E Quigg, labourer W&R. Was employed by the Commonwealth 21.4.1920.  He was working at Nimmitabel.

26.   A Bower. This may be Mrs Bower who sold to T Lea by 30.11.1917.  A Bower is not mentioned after the 14.2.1917 report.

27.   27. P withers. Not mentioned following 14.2.1917 report. 17.11.1917 the house was bought by N Tinker who was still there 27.2.1918.

28.   W Batchelor. Labourer Afforestation. He was still working 21.4.1920 for Mr Weston – and continued working at 16.3.1922.

29.   J Faulkner – also spelt Falconer, Falkiner. Labourer W& R – unemployed 21.4.1920 but later re-employed.

30.   H Townsend. Mrs Townsend was the Mess Caterer.  Building part galvanised iron. She was still engaged as at 16.3.1922. In January 1926 she had 30 men in the Mess. The Industrial Officer stated: This mess has really developed into a restaurant and is patronised by about twenty men from the Brickyards. No alterations or extensions to this Mess need to be considered until the question of the establishment of a Permanent Mess at the Brickyards has been decided. Details in connection with the establishment of a permanent barracks at the Brickyards will be submitted in the near future...

31.   J Sharp. Lived in an iron building and worked for Mr Weston. He was still employed on 16 March 1922.  In 1920 he worked at the Power House.

32.   Vacant  - no rental

33.   Vacant – no rental

34.   J Prosser. He was mentioned in a report 17.11.1917 but by 30.11.1917 the house was sold to A Leach. A note was made that the cottage had been built by Wes J Prosser.

35.   A Prosser. He was listed as living on this site 14.2.1917.  He had left along with his house by 17.11.1917.

36.   P Stephenson. Not mentioned 14.2.1917. This house was pulled down by 1.10.1917.

37.   J Beveridge. Not mentioned 14.2.1917 but was listed as working at the Brickyards in 1921.

38.   AH Lawton. Not mentioned after 14.2.1917.

39.   Vacant – no rental

40.   T Culley. Labourer afforestation. He did not lose his job but was still employed as at 16 March 1922.  He left temporary accommodation at the brickworks 1.3.1922 and moved into one of the brick cottages in section 64.

41.   J Jacobs. During the period of unemployment during World War One Jacobs was in Melbourne. His house was vacated 30.11.1917.

 

Others mentioned in reports with no site numbers recorded are:

·         J Pearce. First mentioned 23.10.1917.  Labourer with W&R – became unemployed 21.4.1920 and was re-employed 1.3.1922.

·         E Cregan. By 17.11.1917 had been gone for some time.

·         R  White. Mentioned 17.11.1917. He applied for a Power House Cottage in 1921 or 1922. He was unsuccessful and stayed at Brickyards accommodation until 16.6.1918.  The Commonwealth cottage that he rented for 5/- per week was constructed from galvanised iron. He worked as a caretaker.

·         S Keir. 21.4.1920 he owned his own house. He was not employed by the Commonwealth.

·         J Hays. 20.4.1920 he was in a Commonwealth cottage constructed from galvanised iron  constructed originally for the manager of the brickworks.  This may be the same cottage that White rented.  The rent was 5/- per week. Hays was an electrician with W&R.

Below: Frank McKay outside the single quarters (ex-Molonglo building) at Westridge c1921

 

EX-MOLONGLO DWELLINGS [The site of these dwellings were in Banks Street.]

Single quarters 12 December 1921

Rooms 1,2, & 3 – W Hart & S Brown. 2 Dover stoves w/piping, 1 table 8’x3’. 1 form 8, 2 stretchers.

Rooms 4,5, & 6 – lawless bros (2) – 3 stretchers, 1 Dover stove w/piping, 2 short forms 4ft, 1 bath galvanised iron.

Rooms 7, 8 & 9 A Butler, C Gallaini & F McKay – 3 stretchers, 1 Dover stove w/piping, 2 short forms 4 ft, 1 bath galvanised iron

Rooms 10, 11 & 12 J Newcombe, W Biddle, J Apps, Reg Newcombe & J Newcombe Jr – 6 stretchers, 1 table 8ft x 1ft, 1 form 8ft , 1 Dover stove w/piping.

Rooms 13, 14 & 15 J Fisher, J & V Tratton – 5 stretchers, 1 Dover stove w/piping, 1 form 8ft.

Rooms 16, 17 & 18 H Weir and one other (one fire extinguisher outside), 3 stretchers.

Rooms 19,20 & 21 – Jordan T & 2 others – (fire extinguisher outside), 1 table 8ft x 3ft, 1 form 8ft, 1 Dover stove w/piping, 3 stretchers.

Outside – 2/600 gallon galvanised iron tanks.

Wash House – 2 sets, 4 compartment galvanised iron tubs with fittings; 1 bath, galvanised iron w/shower and fittings; 4 sanitary pans.

 

BRICKWORKS TENEMENTS – (EX MOLONGLO – ALSO REFERRED TO AS HUTMENTS)

Detached

Single Men’s Quarters 12 December 1921

Rooms 70, 71 & 72 – J Langan, J Cavanagh, Glenning, Ball, J Gibson & 1 other – 6 stretchers, 1 Dover stove w/piping.

Rooms 64, 65 & 66 Herbert & Swain – (1 fire extinguisher outside), 6 stretchers, 1 Dover stove w/piping

 

Married Quarters 12 October 1921

C O’Neill 6 rooms – 2 Dover stoves w/piping, 2 stretchers, 2 Stretchers, 1 form, 1/600 gallon tank.

H Noble 3 rooms – 3 stretchers, 1 Dover stove w/piping

GS Halliday – 3 rooms, 2 stretchers, 1 Dover stove w/piping

R Hutchinson – 6 rooms, 2 stoves ‘Dover’ w/piping, 1/600 gallon tank.

 

Wash House – 2 sets, 4 compartments galvanised iron tubs w/fittings, 1 portable copper and stand.

Bathroom – 2 galvanised iron baths, 2 galvanised iron showers.

Outside – 2 wooden WCs

 

The Mess Room the following:

4 tables 8ft x 3ft, 8 forms 8ft, 1 fire extinguisher, 1 Heating stove, 1 range ‘Sam Weller’, 1 meat safe (large), 1 copper and stand with piping. {NB this mess rooms was later to become quarters for the nurses at Acton.]

 

As at 20 May 1924 men who owed money for rent of the Tenements were: A Bugden, W Lawless, J McCarthy, S Spaul, D Wiseheart.

 

The Boyd family also rented one of the married quarter’s tenements.

 

 

1927 – NEW MESS & CUBICLES AT BRICKWORKS

Financial Report 1926-1927 noted that the above commenced in February 1927 and were completed except for sewerage.  The 27 July 1927 Sanitation Report:

Westridge Brickworks: New huts, sewered, 8 weatherboard and lined huts, each divided into cubicles 10ft x 12ft. Natural lighting and ventilation satisfactory.  Mess Room, kitchen and sanitary blocks provided. Quarters not yet occupied. Old camp not inspected as same will shortly be demolished...

 

Westridge Tenements: Occupants to be removed to weatherboard cottages under construction. 5 weatherboard tenements 5 to 6 rooms each – natural lighting satisfactory. No external ventilation. Structures shortly to be removed.

 

Recommendations.

1.     Rake under huts to remove lumber.

2.     Provide ventilation louvers if reconditioned also portable box covers for earth closets if further used.

 

According to The Canberra Times 31 July 1927 there were 43 people at the Brickworks.

 

 

A list of men working at the Brickworks noting the amount of backpay owed for the period between 27 March and 19 April 1922 gives some indication of increased numbers and work in the yards.

·         253 Moulder             Apps Tr              1 pound 5/9

·         33 Foreman              Boag R               1 pound 10/4

·         195 Jumperman        Beveridge I         1 pounds 7/10

·         36 Yardman              Beveridge A        1 pound 2/2

·         34 Mixer                   Charlton HA        1 pound 7/-

·         30 Timekeeper         Culley T             1 pound 9/-

·         394 Youth                 Colquhoun JD     13/9

·         50 Dragger               Fisher J             1 pound 7/3

·         24 Yard Clean           Faulkner J          1 pound 5/3

·         28 Pitman                 Hannaford A       1 pound 6/8

·         265 Yardman                        Hutchinson R      1 pound 6/8

·         266 Setter                Herring W          1 pound 8/9

·         43 Yardman              Lawless W          1 pounds 2/8

·         44 Wheeler               Marsh V             1 pound 5/7

·         62 Dragger               McKay f              1 pound 4/2

·         251 Setter                Noble HL            1 pound 7/3

·         37 Setter                  Newcombe RA    1 pound 7/3

·         466 Youth                 Oldfield, C          9/1

·         155 Pitman               Pola L                1 pound 6/8

·         21 Jumperman         Quigg E              1 pounds 7/10

·         46 Youth                  Quigg R              14/10

·         472 Youth                 Quigg M             5/-

·         91 Dragger               Stratton J           1 pound 7/3

·         25 Mixer                   Turner F                        1 pound 5/7

·         467 Wheeler             Turner W           1 pound 5/7

·         204 Pitman               Vest D               1 pound 6/8

·         55 M&PF man           Ware KJ             1 pound 6/11

·         151 Pitman               Ware P              1 pound 5/2

·         215 Yardman                        Wilson A             1 pound 6/1

·         268 Yardman                        Wilson N            1 pound 4/2

·         Youth                      Brown John        10d

 

List of New Starters at the Brickworks 1923:

·         3 January - Newbold WJ Moulder; Riddle JY yardman

·         4 January – Wiseheard D yardman

·         14 March – O’Connor F dragger

·         14 March – Worrall D labourer

·         18 June– Townsend A Youth, Oldfield RA youth

·         8 August – Shumack J Dragger

 

 

PERMANENT ACCOMMODATION FOR WORKMEN – THE BRICK & WEATHERBOARD COTTAGES

BRICK COTTAGES SECTION 64

Minutes of the Fourth meeting of the Federal Capital Advisory Committee (FCAC – 1920-1924) held in Custom’s House 17 January 1921 stated that the cost for the erection of 3 Brick cottages at the Power House, 10 at Civic Centre and 7 at the Brickworks would be 3,000 pounds.  Section 64 was chosen for the brickwork’s cottages.

 

First tenants Brickwork’s brick cottages

B5, B7, C2, C8 etc refer to house plans.  B was one of the smallest and E the largest. The E plan was used in Blandfordia.  At Westridge a creek ran through Section 64 and is one of the reasons why the whole block was not filled within the early years.  This block also is a different shape to the later blocks which have each corner left as a small triangular reserve.

 

11 January 1922 – Section 64

3           S Oldfield – not yet in (C8) occupied 13.3.1921 – left 21.6.1922 replaced by CJ Taylor

4           H Newbold – (B5) occupied 8.12.1921 and on 7.11.1925 the late H Newbold was replaced by RC Turbitt (sic Turbit) at rental of 22/- per week.

8           E Quigg (B7) occupied 6.3.1922

11         MJ Ware (B5) occupied 6.3.1922

12         T Culley (B5) crossed out and replaced by Jeremiah Dillon on 13.3.1922. Jeremiah Dillon, foreman of the sewer works left in 1929 and died in Sydney.

16         R Boag (C8) occupied 6.3.1922

15         (C2) occupied 28.11.1921 – K Newbold – Manager of Brickworks.  He left the district in July 1926.

 

Robert  Boag moved to Kingston by 1928 where he died shortly afterwards. He had worked as a miner before coming to Canberra and had a lung condition.  The Canberra Community News detailed the farewell of the Newbold family. The event was held in the Westridge Hall where Harry Woodlands presided.  A number of Westlake people spoke about their good friend and his departure.  Robert Boag made a presentation of a silver tea and coffee service to the Newbold family and this was followed by dancing.  At 11pm Auld Lang Sine was sung by the assembled group.

 

1925 -  6 brick cottages are referred to in one document with a population of 25.  The tenements had 19 residents.

 

1927 – Section 64

·         Block 5 – Mr Turbitt

·         14 (corner block) Hammond. Mr Austin Chapman MP spoke on Hammond’s behalf to help him move from a weatherboard cottage into the brick one. The reason for the request was that Hammond’s wife’s health was affected by living in the wooden cottage.  There were waiting lists for the cottages and they were supposed to be allocated according to position on the list, however, favours were granted from time to time that resulted in people waiting perhaps longer than they should have.

 

1927 Weatherboard Cottages

The Canberra Times July 1927 has an article on the cottages part of which reads: The present building programme comprises 30 timber cottages which are to be built to the latest designs of the Federal Capital Commission with tile roofs and fibro plaster lining and finished in the same style as the timber residences at North Ainslie.  Tenders for this work have closed and it is expected that a contract will be let and the erection will have been commenced before the end of July. A departure from the method of construction at North Ainslie will be the use of bricks for the foundations instead of concrete.  This being more economical owing to the proximity of Westridge to the brickworks. The new cottages will be for use of married employees of brickworks and some will also be available for use in connection with the School of Forestry. (30 cottages were not completed because of cutbacks at the brickworks.)

 

The layout of the area will be built upon will be ideal. The provision of services such as sewerage, water and electricity is proceeding and roads will be built concurrently with building operations. A feature of the scheme at Westridge will be a reserve in front of the School of Forestry which will enhance the setting of that building.

 

24 January 1924 the subdivision of 58 and 63 were surveyed.  10 November 1926 the decision was made to continue with the planned construction of timber cottages for workmen at the Brickworks. The cost was to be 3,700 pounds.  By 11 October 1927 the cottages on Sections 58, 63 and 64 (additional cottages 64) were complete and allocated as follows:

 

Section 58

1.     L Foster

2.     J Ratcliffe

3

4     F Lawrenson

6     L Bethell

7     Westbrooke, Forestry School

8     W Cotterill

9     S Turbitt (sic Turbit)

10   M Cotterill

11   K Shepherd

12   E Turner

14   M Johnson

15   Wilks, Forestry School - caretaker of the Forestry School

16 (?) F Blumenthal Pound Keeper

 

Section 63

            6  JB Weir

            8 HL Noble

            10 HL Reidy

            17 J Oldfield

            18 L Green

            22 FJ Milne

            23 S McDonald

            24 S James

            25 S Jobson

At this time 19 brickwork’s small families were allocated houses. Men with large families were not accommodated at this time because it would cost more to build larger houses necessary to accommodate them.

 

By 15 February 1928, 23 of the promised 30 weatherboard cottages had been erected. But because of the reduction in the staff at the brickworks it was not considered necessary to complete the remaining seven cottages.  Earlier on 25 October 1927 the Superintendent of the Parks and Gardens had requested a further six cottages be built of men employed by his department. At this time he was told that the cottages were erected for brickworks’ employees, however, the officials claimed that as the staff of the brickyards had been reduced there should be sufficient housing available for the Nursery men who had served from one to fourteen years.

The men were:

·         T Cooper, married, two children 14 years of service

·         C Marshall, married, two children, 3 years of service

·         S Margules, married, three children, 3 years of service

·         K Warren, married three children, 1 year of service

·         S Griffiths, single, no children, 7 years of service.

 

Some of the cottages were built by Bruce Eden & Griffiths and required repairs. One mention in NAA documents was Bl 2, Section 64 occupied by Corkhill.  Another builder was Mason of Queanbeyan. Reference is made to one of his cottages near the Yarralumla boundary in which the Horan family lived. Later the Llewellyn family moved into this cottage.

Mr Tetley's Char-a-banc Service

DAILY MOTOR SERVICE WESTRIDGE – QUEANBEYAN  JUNE/JULY 1925

Queanbeyan Age 11 September 1923

CANBERRA MOTOR SERVICE

Mr RF Tetley intends running a regular motor service between Canberra and Queanbeyan putting is commodious Char-a-banc with commodious seating accommodation for 40 passengers on the road. He will leave Canberra at 1.30pm on Saturday next calling at the Power House and Molonglo Camp en route leaving Queanbeyan again at 5.30pm.  Ladies who will be specially catered for will thus have the opportunity of doing their shopping and getting home again in time for tea. If sufficient support is forthcoming the service will be extended to meet the needs of all centres in the Territory.

Advertisement in the Queanbeyan Canberra Advocate  11 June 1925  - repeated during June and July 1925:

Canberra – Queanbeyan Night Motor Service. Leaves Westridge 7pm Monday to Friday via Westlake, Tradesmen’s Camp, Hostel, Acton Cross Roads, Power House, Molonglo arriving at Queanbeyan to meet the Mail Train from Sydney.  Leaves Queanbeyan after arrival at 4.11am Cooma Mail. RF Tetley Proprietor.

It continued to detail the Day Service that left Westridge at 8.45am and returned 9.30pm.

This advertisement drew my attention to a service that I had not heard about.  I knew about Mrs Barton’s Canberra –Queanbeyan Safety Coach Omnibus Service that commenced in 1925 and continued into the late 1930s. It is quite well documented in Australian National Archives.  She was one of the characters of early Canberra, who managed to annoy many of the officials of the day.  Dawson and Quodling Bros replaced her service in the late thirties.    

Westridge today is Yarralumla; the site of Westlake settlement is in Stirling Park, Section22 and Block 4, Section 128 and in the embassy area bounded by Empire Circuit, Forster Crescent, Darwin and Perth Avenues Yarralumla.  The Tradesmen’s Camp and Howie’s Settlement which included cottages and single men’s Hostel Camp were in the area of Block 3, Section 128 Stirling Park between Alexandrina Drive near Lotus Bay and Forster Crescent.  The Tradesmen’s Camp extended from the park area up across Forster Crescent on to land now part of the French Embassy in Darwin Avenue.

The Hostel  most likely to be the Hotel Canberra which was known as Hostel No 1. It may also be Hotel Kurrajong which was Hostel No 2 or 3.  It is more likely to be the former.

 The Acton Cross Roads, I believe, were the Cross Roads where the old Yass Road crossed the Uriarra Road opposite the Fire Station in Forrest.  The Power House is in Wentworth Avenue then known as Interlake Avenue.   Molonglo Settlement has been replaced with the buildings of Fyshwick.  The last stop was probably the Queanbeyan Railway Station where the service met trains from Sydney and Cooma. Canberra passengers from Victoria had to get out at Yass and find their way across to Canberra.

Tetley’s  Motor Service route – using modern maps - commenced around  the Yarralumla Shops, continued down the Cotter Road  (on the Yarralumla side of Adelaide Avenue) where it turned  left  just before the Prime Minister’s Lodge onto the track that led to Westlake.  The track entered the settlement near the Canberra Mosque and continued down the hill in the area of Empire Circuit where it still continues through Stirling Park. 

From the settlement the track turned right at a point near Alexandria Drive opposite the Southern Cross Yacht Club [Briar Farm site] where It crossed Haines’ Creek and continued  along a track that runs roughly parallel to Alexandrina  Drive for the pick up from Howie’s Settlement and Tradesmen’s Camp. 

From this stop the vehicle continued along the track roughly in the area of Alexandrina Drive that went up the hill to Commonwealth Avenue for the next pick up point at the Hotel Canberra .   It then took one of the tracks or roads to Acton Cross Roads near the Fire Station at Forrest  - thence to the Power House. In Wentworth Avenue that continued  along this road to join  Canberra Avenue – Next stop  Fyshwick [Molonglo}  and finally on to  Queanbeyan Railway Station.

I assume that the track from Westlake cottages to the Hotel Canberra was the one that we used from Westlake on our way to the Hotel Canberra bus stop.   However there was another  track into Westlake Settlement that left State Circle in the vicinity of Perth Avenue and joined Darwin Avenue where sites of the cottages began.  State Circle at that time had been completed between Adelaide  and Commonwealth Avenues.   This track was not in common use by Westlake residents until the American Embassy, built in the early 1940s, cut off the original entrance.   

The Tetley Motor Service called at the major  southside settlements of the time.  It travelled along tracks, partly formed roads and old roads on its route between Westridge – the brickyards and main nursery  - to Queanbeyan.  It went by the Westlake Camps & Settlements which had a population in May 1925 of 700.  Many  men working on the Provisional Parliament House and surrounds lived  here and in the surrounding area.  The service then  travelled  to the Power House Settlements – the Industrial area -  where camps  and 20 or more small brick cottages that formed the nucleus of the suburb of Barton.   Molonglo Settlement had a population of 750.  The total population of the city area in 1925 was  just over four and half thousand.

The introduction of our local bus service began in 1926.  It was recorded in the 20th August, 1926 issue of The Federal Capital Pioneer, Canberra's first newspaper. In this article Mr Butters, the First Commissioner stated: To meet the increasing demand for passenger transport a Motor Bus Service between settlements has recently been inaugurated and will be augmented on the arrival of four buses recently purchased by the Commission...   This of course, is another story about our early public transport.

What happened to Mr Tetley’s Motor Service is unknown, but perhaps he was the first to provide a public motorized service for the people of the FCT?

Reginald Francis Tetley late of Queanbeyan died 10 December 1975 aged 89 years.

More information about Mrs Barton and our local omnibus service can be found in my web page http://hiddencanberra.webs.com/Chapter%208A%20Mrs%20Barton.pdf

PS

The Tetley advertisement reminded me of the old track across from my home at Westlake to the Hotel Canberra.  It was a long walk, but in fruit season, not an unpleasant one because the track went passed a very large old quince tree that provided us with delicious free fruit.  Another found advertisement   in the Queanbeyan Age  8 May 1904 indicated  that many before my generation also enjoyed the fruit from this tree.

 

QUINCES FOR SALE – Apply Briar Farm Canberra 2d, 3d and 4d per dozen.

 

1927 Westridge Grows

Click to add text, images, an

The Canberra Times 8 July 1927

WESTRIDGE GROWS

New Building Progress

THIRTY COTTAGES THIS MONTH

The suburb of Westridge has assumed increased importance of late as a result of the establishment of the Australian School of Forestry and the suburb is to be expanded by a building programme which is to be expected to commence probably by the end of the current month.

AS cottage construction programme of 30 cottages is contemplated which will involve the laying out of the suburb in keeping with the latest ideas of garden city planning.

For the future there is no present indication of a big expansion beyond that present contemplated. It is unlikely for that for many years to come Westridge will become a public residential area, and there is no provision for any shopping centre nearer than Manuka.

The suburb of Westridge dates back to the establishment of the brick works and the commencement of the development of the Federal Capital Commission. It consists today of about ten cottages of brick and timber, some of which were constructed by the Department of Works and Railways. Some portable cottages  [ex-Molonglo]  were erected later on land in front of the site of the school of Forestry, but these have been removed.

The present building programme comprises 30 timber cottages which are to be built to the latest designs of the Federal Capital Commission, with tile roofs and fibro plaster lining an finished in the same style at timber residences at North Ainslie [Corroboree Park, Ainslie].  Tenders for this work have closed, and it is expected that a contract will be let and the erection will have been commenced before the end of July. A  departure from the method of construction at North Ainslie will be the use of bricks for the foundations instead of concrete, this being more economical owing to the proximity of Westridge to the brickworks. The new cottages will be for the use of married employees of brick works and some will also be available for use in connection with the School of Forestry.

The lay-out of the area to be built upon will be ideal. The provision of services such as sewerage, water and electricity is proceeding and roads will be built concurrently with building operations. A feature of the completed scheme at Westridge will be a reserve in the front of the School of Forestry, which will enhance the setting of that building.

1928 Electoral Roll Westridge

This name was given to the area of the Brickyards in 1917 by Walter Burley Griffin. Today the suburb is called, Yarralumla. The brickyards were built in 1913 and were operational from that time. The following year the main nursery was established at Yarralumla in Sheedy's Paddock (now Weston Park and the Royal Canberra Golf Club). The Forestry School was established at Westridge in 1926/27 and Yarralumla House refurbished for the Duke & Duchess of York in 1927 became the permanent residence of the Governor Generals.

 

The Hallowed High Adventure by Alexander J McGilvray is part of the story of the Catholic Church in Canberra.  Father McGilvray wrote the following about Westridge:
They held a dance at Westridge in 1923 when that locality was an outpost of Queanbeyan parish and destined in a few years to be an important centre in Canberra's first parish.  A scribe has written of the function with tremendous enthusiasm: and it should be of interest to learn how Catholics in Canberra's other days enjoyed themselves as they helped augment the Building Fund.

"...the dance proved to be an overwhelming success...and it easily constituted a record for the Federal Territory, and nothing like it has ever been put on in Queanbeyan..."  It appears that two young ladies, Miss K Corkhill and Miss M Colquhoun were responsible for organizing the event, and as a result of their "indefatigable labours" the Bazaar Fund benefitted by more than 5o pounds...

The Westridge Hall on a hillock near the camps and cottages of construction workers was no mean structure.  It had been built as a village hall in the neighbourhood.  It had four walls, a stout floor of broad timbers, a roof, and not much else.  It was a place to foregather and make merriment...It was small by any standards, and one wonders how it accommodated all the patrons on the night in question.  The organizing committee on its own must have half-filled the building.  The chief executive was Mr Jerry Dillon, and his recorded lieutenants were Messrs Gerald Hogan, Peter Murphy, Dan Gleeson, Tom Corkhill, George Grey, Hart, Newbold, Bert Stanley, Aub Anderson, D Lamond, C Holmes, C Smith, Ted Corey and FH Boland.  The latter gentleman donated the decorations that splashed gaiety throughout the old structure, and Margaret (Maggie) Colquhoun assisted him in their arrangements.  A two-piece orchestra kept the dancers on their rhythmic move as they waltzed and barn-danced and two-stepped and one-stepped a natural, easy grace possessed them...Miss Mollie Cullen and Mr A Edmunds comprised the orchestra...and Miss Cullen ...would not accept remuneration, and it was only after much persuasion that Mr Edmund was prevailed upon to accept a nominal fee.

 

WESTRIDGE

APPS, Thomas brickmaker

2/58 BARBER, Florence & Thomas hd & gardener
Florence Barber died on 8th April 1976 and is buried in the Anglican Section of Woden Cemetery.

BETHELL, Alma & Leslie hd & fitter

14/48 BLUMENTHAL, Amy & Stanley hd & ranger

BOYD, Doris & William hd & carrier
On the next page is a photograph of Bill Boyd's truck used to convey bricks from brickyards to various sites.  His wife Doris was the daughter of Mrs Townsend who ran the Mess at the Brickyards.  Bill's sister Jean married the son of the manager of the Brickworks - Claude Oldfield.  Bill and his sister lived at Westridge until their deaths.  William Frederick Boyd died 15th January 1977 and is buried in the Anglican Section of Woden Cemetery.  Doris Boyd died on 8th April 1978 and is buried in the next grave.  Donald Boyd, youngest brother of William died on 6th July 1974 and is buried in the Anglican Section of Woden Cemetery.  He is in the next grave to his brother Robert who was buried on 28th February 1955. He died on 25th February aged 82.  his address then was 8 Triculo Place Queanbeyan and his grave was paid by William Frederick Boyd of 73 Novar Street.   In the same grave as Donald is Mabel Josephine Boyd.  She died on 5th January 1959 aged 77.   Doris (Dorrie) Boyd was nee Townsend.  Her mother ran the Mess for the Brickyards men.

BOYD, Mabel & Robert hd & labourer
(See William Boyd section for details of burial)

CARTER, Terence labourer

CONNELLY, Bertha & William hd & labourer
Bertha Adeline Connelly was buried in the RC Section of Woden Cemetery on 19th August 1967.  In the next grave is William Connelly who was buried on 9th January, 1960.

COOPER, Edith & John hd & brickwork’s manager

COREY, Kathleen & Edward hd & labourer
Edward Patrick Corey was buried on 23rd October 1950 in the Ex-Servicemen's Section of Woden Cemetery.  His grave was paid by Kathleen Mabel Corey of Captains Flat.  He died on 20th October 1950 aged 50 years.  Kathleen Corey was buried in the RC Section of Woden Cemetery on 8th July, 1953.  She died on 8th July 1953 aged 65 and her grave was paid by Bert John Corey of Woolongong. Kathleen was nee Boyd and the sister of Don, Robert, William and Jean.  Ted and Kathleen had four children, Margaret, Gordon (deceased aged 12 years), Ray and John.

Leura CORKHILL, Teresa & Phillip hd & nurseryman
Teresa Corkhill was buried in the RC Section of Woden Cemetery on 10th May, 1962.  Phillip Lawrence Corkhill was buried in the next grave on 15th July 1965.

CULLEY, Kathleen & Thomas hd & clerk

DILLON, Louisa & Jeremiah hd & foreman (Jeremiah Dillon was foreman of the Sewer Works. He died in 1929.)

EASTWOOD, Cecil brickmaker

FISHER, John labourer

GREY, Edward horsedriver

GIBBS, Vera saleswoman

HAMMOND, Mary & William hd & labourer
William Patrick Hammond was buried in the Ex-Servicemen's Section of Woden Cemetery on 18th May, 1963.   Mary Ellen Hammond died on 27th April 1978 and is buried in the RC Section of Woden Cemetery.

HAMMOND, Catherine & William hd & labourer
Catherine Hammond was buried in the RC Section of Woden Cemetery on 4th May 1948.  She died on 3rd May 1948 aged 77.  Her address was Doonkuna Street Reid.  Her grave was paid by William Patrick Hammond of 59 Leichhardt Street Kingston. William Pitt Hammond was buried in  Anglican Section of Woden Cemetery on 8th February 1947.  He died on 7th February 1947 aged 76.  His address then was 36 Doonkuna Street Reid.  His grave was paid by William Patrick Hammond of 59 Leichhardt Street Kingston.

HERRING, Sydney & William hd & bricksetter

HOBDAY, Elsie & John hd & civil servant (Nursery)
John Peace Hobday died on 4th July, 1945 aged 65 and Elsie Jane on 20th July 1964 aged 71.  Both are buried at Woden Cemetery in the Presbyterian Section in graves next to each other.

HOWES, William brickmaker (Brickyards)

JOHNSON, May & Michael hd & brickyard’s employee
A Michael Johnson was buried in the Anglican Section of Woden Cemetery on 28th July, 1962.

JONES, Albert labourer
Albert Ernest Jones was buried in the Anglican Section of Woden Cemetery on 19th September, 1950.

KILBY, Elsie & Sidney hd & gardener

LANE-POOLE, Ruth & Charles hd & civil servant Principal of Forestry School. 

His wife, Ruth was the person in charge of refurbishing work carried out on Yarralumla House in preparation for the arrival of the Duke and Duchess of York in May 1927.  She lived in Melbourne and travelled to Canberra regularly to oversee the work.  The Foresters by Athol Meyers has a chapter devoted to Charles Edward Lane-Poole. Curriculum Vitae
LANE POOLE  Charles Edward, Born Sussex England August 16, 1885, Educated at St Columbia's College, Dublin; Ecole Nationale des Eaux et Forets, Nancy, France; 1906-07 - South African Forest School; 1908-10 - District Forest Officer, Transvaal; 1911 - Married Ruth Pollexfen; 1911-16 - Conservator of Forests, Sierra Leone, member of Legislative Council/; 1916-21 - Conservator of Forestes, Western Australia; 1922-24 - Compiled report for Commonwealth Government on forest resources of Papua and New Guinea; 1925-27 - Forest advisor to Commonwealth Government, resulting in the establishment of Australian Forestry School; 1927-44 - Actin Principal of Australian Forestry School; 45 - Inspector-General of Forests, Commonwealth Forestry Bureau; Died Sydney November 22, 1970.

LIPSETT, Hamilton brickmaker

McKAY, Elsie & Francis hd & labourer
Elsie Lillian McKay died 30th March, 1980 and is buried in the RC Section of Woden Cemetery.  In the next grave is Francis John McKay who was buried on 27th February, 1958.  He died on 26th February and his grave was paid by Mrs Elsie Lilian McKay of 49 Mueller Street Westridge. Reg Newcombe in his story True Tales From Canberra's Vanished Suburbs of Westlake, Westridge and Acton said that the McKay family consisted of five girls - Helen, Frances, Patsy, Judith and Dorothy.  All girls attended St Christopher's Convent School in Forrest.

NEWCOMBE, James brickburner
Reg Newcombe wrote his family's story in True Tales From Canberra's Vanished Suburbs of Westlake, Westridge and Acton. Part of the story is as follows: Reginald Newcombe's parents were Edith Dorothy (nee Owers) and Reginald Alfred Newcombe.  They married in Sydney on 27th October, 1928.  At the time Reginald was already living in Canberra.  He and his father and brother (Jim) moved to Canberra in 1921 to work at the newly reopened brickyards...Reginald Arthur was born in 51 Mueller Street Yarralumla on 6th June, 1929.  The witnesses to the birth were Doctor Robert Alcorn and Nurse Dunn...A second child Harold Snowden Newcombe, was born two years later.  Harold (Toby) married Marg Solway on 20th December 1952 at St John the Baptist Church.  They have three children, Sue Reggie and Harold...Reginald (born 1929) married Kath Devlin.  Her parents were Joseph and Bessie (nee Martin). They had two children, Kathleen born 1935 and Robert born in 1937.  Kath and Reg were married in St Andrew's Presbyterian Church in 1956 and have two children, Mark and Garry.  Robert Deviln married Lorraine Hawkins and has two children - Deborah and Amanda.

NOBLE, Jessie & Henry hd & labourer
Jessie Abbott Noble was buried in the Methodist Section of Woden Cemetery on 5th April 1947. Shedied on 3rd April 1947 aged 55.  Her grave was paid by Henry Leslie Noble of 11 Hooker Street Westridge.

OLDFIELD, Catherine & Sydney hd & brickmaker
Catherine Margaret Oldfield was buried in Woden Cemetery in the Anglican Section on 29th August 1945.  She died on 27th August aged 59 years.  Her grave was paid by Sydney Joseph Oldfield of the Brickworks. In the next grave is Sidney Joseph Oldfield who was buried on 22nd February 1958.  He died on 20th February aged 71 years.  His address then was 70 Novar Street.  Their son Claude Alexander is buried in another section of the Anglican Section of Woden Cemetery.  He was buried on 17th September, 1968.  His wife Jean (nee Boyd) died in the late 1990s.  Jean's nickname was Bubba. Moya Oldfield, eldest daughter of Jean and Claude Oldfield wrote her story in True Tales From Canberra's Vanished Suburbs of Westlake, Westridge and Acton.  She mentions that her mother was a Boyd and father an Oldfield.   Her grandparents on her father's side were Sydney Oldfield and Margaret nee McDonald.  On her mother's side they were Robert and Mabel Boyd.  Claude Oldfield and Jean Boyd married in 1928 and their first child, Moya was born on 5th December 1928.  Her sister Audrey was born on 19th September 1933.  Moya married Neil Campbell and has tow sons, Neil and Paul.  Audrey married Rob Thew and has two sons, Peter and Kevin (deceased - died aged 15 years).

O’CONNOR, Frank labourer

QUIGG, Roy labourer
The Quigg family is one of the old families in the Westridge District.  Roy Walter Quigg married Ethel Sharp and both are buried in Woden Cemetery in the Anglican Section in graves next to each other.  Roy died on 24th August 1976 and Ethel Hazel died on 6th April 1996.  Ethel and Jean Oldfield were friends from childhood.  Other Quiggs buried in Woden Cemetery are Morris Edward Quigg buried on 16th May, 1960 and in the next grave Mary Marjorie buried on 5th December 1995 - RC Section.  Kenneth Quigg was buried on 25th January 1962 in the Anglican Section of Woden Cemetery.

RADCLIFFE, Jessie & John hd & brick
Jessie Louisa Radcliffe died on 2nd December 1971 and is buried in the Anglican Section of Woden Cemetery.  John Radcliffe was buried in the Ex-Servicemen's Section of Woden on 25th January, 1963.

REIDY, Maude & Harold hd & labourer
Harold Leslie Reidy died on 5th November 1974 in the RC Section of Woden Cemetery.  In the next grave is Maude Ella Reidy who was buried on 10th April 1986.  Reg Newcombe in his story in True Tales From Canberra's Vanished Suburbs of Westlake, Westridge and Acton mentioned that the Reidy Family who lived next door to his family in Mueller Street, had four daughters - Gean, Joyce, Gloria and Leila.

REYNOLDS, Kathleen & Reuben hd & caretaker

RETTER, Beatrice hd

RIDDLE, Louisa, Albert, Joseph & Joseph hd, labourer, --& brickburner
Joseph William Riddle was buried in the Anglican Section of Woden Cemetery on 4th June, 1948.  He died on 3rd June 1948 aged 73.  His grave was piad by Joseph Henry Riddle of 5 Hooker Street Westridge. In the next grave is Louisa Riddle who was buried on 13th August, 1996.  Another Riddle buried at Woden in the Ex-Servicemen's Section on 28th June, 1996 is Sydney George Riddle.

SHARP, Edith, Vera, Joseph & Thomas hd, hd, nurseryman & labourer

SHEPHERD, Minnie & Robert hd & fitter & turner

SMITH, Daniel labourer

TAYLOR, Mary, Elizabeth, Norman & Charles hd, hd, blacksmith & foreman
Charles John Taylor was buried in Woden Cemetery on 30th June, 1939.  he died on 29th June 1939 aged 67 years and his grave was paid by Charles T Taylor of Bankstown Sydney.  Elizabeth Taylor was buried in the same grave on 21st July, 1959.  She died on 20th July 1959 aged 93 and her grave was paid by NC Taylor of 33 Lockyer Street Griffith.  Mary Taylor was buried in the Presbyterian Section of Woden Cemetery on 2nd December 1964 and Norman Frederick Taylor was buried in the RC Section of Woden Cemetery.  He died on 13th February 1979.

TOWNSEND, Alice hd

(Mess Caterer at Brickyards and earlier at the Cotter Camps.  She died 21st September 1935 aged 50 years and is buried at St John the Baptist Church Cemetery, Reid.  Ref Jean Salisbury St John's Churchyard.  Her husband's name was Harry.)

TONKIN, Mena & Francis hd & plumber
Francis William Tonkin was buried in the Methodist Section of Woden Cemetery on 18th May, 1961.

TURBIT, Ellen, Florence, Richard & Sidney hd, postmistress, brickmaker & brickmaker Esma Shirley Turbit died on 22nd March, 1928 aged two days.  She is buried in St John the Baptist Church Cemetery.  Ref Jean Salisbury St John's Churchyard.

WARE, Lilian, Ivy, John & Michael hd, hd, labourer & labourer
Lilian Julia Ware was buried in the Anglican Section of the Woden Cemetery on 15th June, 1976.

WRIGHT, Charles labourer

 

BANKS STREET, WESTRIDGE

BATCHELOR, Margaret & William hd & nurseryman
Margaret Anne Batchelor was buried in the RC Section of the Woden Cemetery on 7th March 1980.  William Arthur Batchelor was buried in the next grave.  He died on 9th August 1970.

 

COTTER ROAD, WESTRIDGE

HORAN, Marguerite & Michael hd & ranger
Marguerite Winnifred Mary Horan was buried in the Anglican Section of Woden Cemetery on 10th September 1955. She died on 9th September aged 64.  Her grave was paid by Michael J Horan of Hooker Street.  Buried in the same grave on 19th September, 1942 is Michael Horan. He died on 18th September aged 60 and his grave was also paid by Michael J Horan of Westridge.  Michael Horan (senior) married in Camberwell England to Marguerite Gammon.  On 17th March 1910 Michael left England for Australia.  His wife followed later.  The Horan children are, Michael 1905, John 1909, Dora Constance 1911 - she married Joe Riddle, Leslie Darcy 1916, Eileen Maud 1920 - she married a Lee, Terry 1928 and David 1932.  Dora and Joe Riddle lived for awhile at 17 Westlake before moving back to Westridge.  Dora was Mess Caterer for the Forestry School Students.


HUTCHINS STREET, WESTRIDGE

QUIGG, Emily & Edward hd & pit labourer
Edward James Quigg, son of Neil Walter and Fanny Quigg was born in 1876.  He married Emily Sims and the couple were in Bombala when their son Roy was born in 1907.  By 1922 they were at Westridge in Hutchins Street.  Edward died 23rd April, 1935 aged 58.  His widow later moved to Queensland where she remarried.  Ref Jean Salisbury St John's Churchyard.

 
NOVAR STREET, originally called Mountain Way

COTTERILL, Annie, Maurice & William hd, labourer & labourer

7 LAWRENCE, Gwendoline & Arthur hd & overseer

STREATFIELD, Ethel & Herbert hd & brick worker

WILKES, Mary & David hd & caretaker Forestry School

FORESTRY SCHOOL
The students lived in lined cubicles in the area of Solander Place (constructed later). Three shells of cottages served as Recreation Room, Ablutions Block and Mess Room.

BEALE, Lance student                     

BENELLACK, Andrew student

BYLES, Baldur student

CAMERON, Tweedie & McRae hd & student

GREGSON, Frederick student

HASSEY, Robert student

JACOBS, Maxwell forester

LINDSAY, Alexander forest assistant

MENADUE, Samuel forest officer

MITCHELL, James student

MUIR, William student

PIGOTT, Hugh forester

ROGERS, Lewis student

STEWART, Donald student

TORBET, Cecilia & Reginald hd & student

WALLACE, William student

WEBBER, Howard student

RIVERVIEW, WESTRIDGE
 

CORKHILL, Catherine, Catherine, Eileen, John, Thomas & Robert hd, hd, hd, farmer, farmer & farmer
Margaret Sullivan a Corkhill descendent wrote a story published in True Tales From Canberra's Vanished Suburbs of Westlake, Westridge and Acton.  Part of this story is as follows: Robert Corkhill was born 31 May, 1863 at the family home of Ballemaugh in the parish of Lonan, Island of Man.  When he came to Australia as a young man of eighteen years in 1881 he was employed as a groom for the Campbell Estate of Duntroon where he remained for many years.  Robert was offered a small parcel of land near the National Library of Australia that was called Canberry.  At that time Robert was still employed at Duntroon...On 6th February 1893 Robert married Catherine Rolfe daughter of Edmund and Margaret Rolfe (nee Logue).  Catherine's mother died when she was a few weeks old and she was reared by her maternal grandmother, Granny Crinigan nee Logue.  The Corkhills remained at Canberry for many years where their family of ten children were all born.  In 1913 the family leased Riverview from Frederick Campbell...[The family remained in the two storey brick cottage built by Fred Young for Campbell in the early 1890s until the land was required by the Commonwealth and the lake began to fill - in 1962.]  Catherine Corkhill died in 1952 and her obituary in the "Cathedral Chimes" dated October 19 1952 in part reads, "She was a distinct feature of Catholic life in Canberra, as she was born a few hundred yards from where Parliament House now stands...Her husband survives her and he is now in his 90th year.  Also surviving are her six sons: John Thomas, Phillip and Patrick all of Canberra and Edward (Goulburn) and Brendan (Boorowa), Mrs J Maloney of Queanbeyan is a daughter.  Three  daughters predeceased her: Margaret, Eileen (Mrs E Morrison) and Phyllis (Mrs M McKee).  There are 24 grandchildren and 13 great grandchildren left to mourn the great old lady..."  Catherine's grandparents on her mother's side were Bryan and Margaret Logue who arrived in Sydney on 28th March, 1841 from County Tyrone, Ireland...

 

OAKLEY HILL  WESTRIDGE

MAGUIRE, Jack grazier

EGAN, Bessie & Thomas hd & groom

 

YARRALUMLA HOUSE (Government House)
GRANGES, James gardener

SCOTT, Violet & Alexander hd & gardener
Alexander Campbell Scott was buried in Woden Cemetery on 2nd June, 1949.  Buried in the next grave in the Presbyterian Section is Violet Mary Scott who was buried on 23rd June 1955.

STEPHENS, Flora & Thomas housekeeper & caretaker
Thomas Stephens was buried in Woden Cemetery in the Anglican Section on 23rd August 1941. He died on 22nd August 1941 aged 55.  His grave was paid by Mrs Flora Stephens of Government House. She was buried in the same grave on 16th April, 1964.

Below: Photograph of the Nursery at Yarralumla around 1914.  The Nursery Cottage is in the background.  The nursery was established in Sheedy's Paddock.  Today part of the nursery is used by the Royal Canberra Golf Club.  The Club Course was originally either side of the Molonglo River between Acton and Westlake at the rear of the Hotel Canberra.  Prior to the filling of Lake Burley Griffin in 1963 the club moved to its present grounds.

 

 




 

Recent Blog Entries

by Ann Gugler | 0 comments
by Ann Gugler | 0 comments